Friday, March 05, 2010

320 Main, Seal Beach, CA

Welcome to 320 Main St. in lovely Seal Beach, CA. I had no idea this restaurant was hiding in my backyard. The restaurant is located in a old-timey street in downtown seal beach that resembles Old Town Orange in a way near where Chapman University is.

Parking for this place is kind of hard to find if you don't get a spot outside of the restaurant right away.

Absinthe



One of the signature cocktails of 320 Main.

Judgment: Absinthe was made with Pernod in the Traditional Slow-Drip method. The key to preparing absinthe is 1 part absinthe to 5 parts chilled water that is slowly decanted with a special Absinthe spoon and Sugar Cube. Delicious and as I said when I got it "Oh beautiful green fairy, I've missed you" 9 / 10

Bleu Tenders



Buffalo Chicken Tenders with Bleu Cheese Crumbles

Judgment: The chicken breast was well seasoned and fried and came out piping hot. The cheese makes a nice accompaniment to the dish. The best part was there was not too much fried batter in the way, in fact, I don't remember there being any. It was garnished with some cucumber as portrayed in the picture. Celery would have been better. 8 / 10

The Neapolitan



Grilled New York Strip Steak topped with sliced Tomatoes, Mozzarella Cheese, fresh basil and a balsamic reduction sauce. Accompanied with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Grilled Vegetables.

Judgment: The steak came out fairly bland, and the balsamic reduction did not have much flavor at all. The best part of the dish is the Mozarrella Cheese with Sliced Tomato and Basil. That in itself would have been a great appetizer/starter. In the end it was pretty much just a starter placed on top of a flavorless steak. The potatoes were lumpy and could have had more attention paid to it and the vegetables were ok. Typical grilled vegetables. 6 / 10

Grasshopper



Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream with Oreo Crumb Cake with Chocolate Sauce.

Side note: this was the dessert I was supposed to eat. I ended up trading with Kchan because poor Kchan's dishes were smaller than everyone's.

Judgment: Although I only had a taste, I felt it was put together nicely and reminded me of the Grasshopper drink. My only complaint was the presentation. They should have arranged the dish better so the 320 could be read the other way while the angle for the dish is actually the way it is in the photo. 8 / 10

Crème Brulée



Cherry Brandy Crème Brulée with French Wafer

Judgment: The sugar crust was not prepared correctly. It did not form a nice firm crust at all. It was soft and it blended into the filling inside. It was not what I was expecting at all in a Creme Brulee. The wafer was probably the best part of the dessert. 4 / 10

Conclusion: The Restaurant is a cozy small restaurant with probably about 50 seats. The bar selection looks promising if you enjoy Rum or Gin. The food itself was alright. It is not somewhere I would like to go to again if it was on my own, but if other people would like to go, I would not mind joining them.

Restaurant gets a B-Rank.



No comments: