Thursday, March 18, 2010

Shin Sen Gumi Robata, Fountain Valley, CA

After a long day at work, with Yogurtland being called "lunch" I decided to hit up Shin Sen Gumi for their $1.50 Happy Hour. Every Monday & Tuesday at the Fountain Valley Shin Sen Gumi Robata (the non-ramen side) they do the happy hour from 6 PM to 10 PM now.

Flap Meat



Flank Steak (typically Carne Asada meat)

Judgment: Steak came out to a juicy Medium Rare. The restaurant will grill it this way unless you ask them for a different temperature. It was seasoned lightly with salt and delicious. 8 / 10

Pork Belly



Pork Belly

Judgment: Seasoned with salt and usually one of my favorites. Today's was actually a little tougher than I remembered so it wasn't to my expectation. 6 / 10

Lamb



Lamb Chop Cubes

Judgment: This was pretty good. It was lightly seasoned with salt with a generous helping of pepper. The meat was soft and tender and I would definitely order this again. 9 /10

Meat Ball



Asian style Meat balls

Judgment: Not your typical meatball that you would enjoy with pasta but much softer in structure. The meat falls apart in your mouth and oozes out deliciousness from the fats being cooked inside 7 / 10

Yakitori



Chicken Thigh with Green Onion, Salt (top), Yakitori Sauce (Bottom)

Judgment: The staple of the Yakitori restaurant, Chicken Thigh with Green Onion. They prepare it 2 different ways here at Shin Sen Gumi, and depending on your mood, you might have a preference of one over the other. The salt one is generously seasoned with salt and brings out the richness of the chicken to life. The yakitori sauced one has a mild and sweet flavor to it that you would expect in Teriyaki Chicken, but it wasn't as messy. 9 / 10

Garlic



Fire Roasted Garlic with Miso Paste

Judgment: I'm a garlic lover, I'll admit it. This was one of my favorites at Shin Sen Gumi after I discovered they had it, I always order it now. There's something about Garlic that I just really enjoy, the flavor, the oils, the deliciousness. Although I don't know if my friends who are dining with me will enjoy it but I like it. When the garlic is roasted, it becomes soft and almost butter like. 9 /10

Chicken Skin



Yes, you read that right, Chicken Skin

Judgment: The best part of the chicken on a stick. I love this stuff too! They fire roast it and the skin just melts in your mouth. It is lightly sauced with Yakitori sauce as well. 10 / 10

Pork Belly with Shiso Basil



Basil wrapped with a thin slice of pork belly

Judgment: The fragrant flavor of the basil is not overpowered by the pork belly but rather enhanced with it. The 2 flavors come together very well. 9 / 10

Pork Belly wrapped Enoki Mushrooms



Bundles of Enoki Mushroom wrapped with pork belly

Judgment: A spin on Beef Wrapped Enoki Mushrooms and quite tasty. Although I enjoy the basil more, this was pretty good. The pork belly oozes itself in between all the mushroom so it bursts with flavor in your mouth. 8 / 10

Conclusion: Yakitori is a great way to end a long day at work. Especially if it's paired with some alcohol or just simply whatever you like to drink. The restaurant serves a small collection of sake, umeshu (plum wine), shochu, beers and the typical sodas and teas. I really enjoy my time there, just it does get on the expensive side if you're really hungry. $1.50 does add up really quickly when you order a lot!

This restaurant gets an A-Rank

No comments: