Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Shin Sen Gumi Hakata, Fountain Valley, CA

Got a phone call on Friday night to meet up with Pei for dinner. Haven't met up with her in a while so of course I agreed to it. That and I was hungry myself. We went to Shin Sen Gumi Hakata, not to be confused with Robata because this one strictly sells Ramen instead of bbq.

Chikuwa with Cheese



Deep fried fish cake stuffed with cheese

Judgment: Basically it's a rolled fish cake stuffed with cheese, then battered and deep fried. The cake almost feels like it was slightly over cooked because it had this rubbery texture to it that I found a little odd. The cheese was really mild in the dish so it didn't stand out too much. I wish they had used a stronger cheese so I might have enjoyed it more. 6 / 10

Takoyaki



Octopus in batter

Judgment: I have not eaten Takoyaki in quite a while. The takoyaki here at Shin Sen Gumi was a little under cooked. The ball itself kind of collapsed on itself when you pick it up with your chopsticks. As a whole though, it was still tasty. The sauce and the mayonnaise comes together nicely when you eat it. The ginger I did not care for but everything else was good. If the Takoyaki was cooked a bit longer it might not have collapsed on itself. 8 / 10

Ramen in Pork Broth



Ramen with BBQ Pork, Egg, Corn and Spicy Miso

Judgment: I don't think they added the Spicy Miso into my noodles because I couldn't even taste it. The noodles were cooked to perfection, corn was sweet, bbq pork was well seasoned and the egg was good. As a whole the ingredients compliment each other well but I am still wondering if they had forgotten about the miso that was supposed to be in there. I think that was the missing ingredient of the night. 8 / 10

Conclusion: As a whole the restaurant is tiny, and there is typically a wait for meals there. Neighboring the Yakitori place makes me yearn for that instead of noodles. Personally I would've chosen the Yakitori over the Ramen. However, Ramen is always a good change of pace from the usual zoo of animals that I eat.

The Restaurant gets a B-Rank.

No comments: