Thursday, October 07, 2010

The Sky Room, Long Beach, CA

So DineLA has made it's way around again, and this time, I'm trying to take advantage of it all. Mainly because I already missed OC Restaurant week last week and it was particularly short lived. Seriously, only 1 week for the deals in OC while LA gets 2 weeks. Ah well, that's just how the cookie crumbles I guess. So taking advantage of this time, I invited the adorable Koto-chan to dine out with me for The Sky Room. Her comment: "SOOO FANCYYYYY ZOMGGGG!"

The Bread



Sourdough and Pretzel Bread

Judgment: The bread was fairly fresh, had a good aroma to it despite not being warm. They provided some softened butter with the bread which obviously compliments each other well. The Pretzel was a little not what I expected because the crust had separated from the innards. 5 / 10

Prime Beef Carpaccio



Baked Brie, Brioche, Truffles, Saba Reduction

Judgment: The beef was fresh and tender. One of the best Carpaccio dishes I've had but it was a little on the salty side. The Saba reduction is a nice touch but I think this brought about too much salt into the dish. The brie was soft and warm and the brioche had a fine hint of garlic flavor as well. All in all, an enjoyable appetizer. 8 / 10

Prime Ribeye



Sugar Snap Peas, Truffle and Chive Infused Mashed Potatoes

Judgment: The dish was supposed to have Mashed Potatoes but clearly it doesn't. I spent a good part of the evening trying to figure out what that purple starch was. The Sugar Snap Peas was delicious and seasoned beautifully. The Steak was cooked to proper medium rare as I asked for and was delicious! Again, the purple starch was a mystery to me, but I figured it was Taro fries, but who knows what it actually was. Maybe I should have asked the waiter. 9 /1 0

Tiramisu



White Chocolate, Mixed Berry Sauce

Judgment: The Tiramisu was very delicate and delicious. The mixed berry sauce was a nice touch as I think the Tiramisu was very sweet and it provides a nice tart flavor to it. The cake was very light and spongy as how a traditional Tiramisu is supposed to be. The coffee flavor is definitely present and rich over all. 8 / 10

Conclusion: The restaurant is definitely a good place to go to if you want to enjoy a full service meal and enjoy the nice view of Long Beach ocean front. When night time falls, you see the oceanside shopping centers light up, including a Ferris Wheel near by. The restaurant is not too hard to find but parking might be. There is parking there for $7 or there's another lot down one of the streets for $5. The place is definitely worth going back to again.

This restaurant gets an A-Rank.

Bonus Material

The adorable Koto-chan :D


No comments: