Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Lua Bistrot, Garden Grove, CA

Decided to go out to dinner with my regular crew and the addition of Kchan and Kyosuke from AniMaid Cafe. The restaurant was chosen by my friend Tony who did a simple search for Creme Brulee in Orange County.

Passion Mango



Passion Fruit & Mango Juice

Judgment: The juice is very simple. Just a blended mix of Passion Fruit and Mango Syrups with water. 6 / 10

Filet Au Poivre



Filet Mignon with Veal Sauce. Grilled Shrimp, Steak Fries and Fresh Salad.

Grilled Shrimp



Grilled Marinated Shrimp

Judgment: The shrimp was seasoned with a sweet soy marinade and grilled. It was actually pretty good and I wish the portion was bigger. 8 / 10

Fresh Salad



Cucumbers, Red Onions, Carrots, and Vinegar

Judgment: As mentioned by my friend Tony, this mix of vegetables is typically what you find in a Vietnamese sandwich. It was quite fresh and the cucumbers had a good crunch to it. 8 / 10

Steak Fries



Thick Cut Potato Fries

Judgment: The fries were lightly seasoned with salt and some garlic herbs. The taste was mediocre because they should have been seasoned a bit better. I ended up eating them dipping in the steak's sauce. 6 / 10

Filet Mignon



Filet Mignon with a Black Pepper Sauce and Veal Sauce

Judgment: I was extremely disappointed with my main course. The meat was well seasoned and the sauce was exquisitely prepared. The problem is that the chef couldn't cook it properly. The steak came to me medium well when I had requested medium rare. In fact, I had the steak re-done and they literally just seared another piece of beef. Tony confirmed it after I had cut into it, it was blue. Disgusting. 2 / 10



Re-fired steak. It's still Mooing.

Creme Brulee



Basic Creme Brulee

Judgment: The dessert was a simple creme brulee. It was served with a great price of FREE! You heard me, Free Dessert. It was actually ok, although, I like my creme brulee with more vanilla in it. 7 / 10

Conclusion: The restaurant's experience was rather mixed. My friends had a good time, but my experience was terrible. The Head Chef came to discuss with me what was wrong with the steak and he still insisted it was cooked to correct temperature. He offered to make another and in the end showed his childishness. I mean, really, Medium Rare, and he brings me a blue steak.

The Restaurant gets a D-Rank.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

portions are too smalll...