Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Daikokuya, Monterey Park, CA

After a fun photoshoot with Chiyo-chan, I met up with some of her friends and tried to suggest to go to Shin Sen Gumi. However, they had their hearts set on Daikokuya and I can see why. I was accompanied by Angela and Ridori for this interesting experience.

Gyoza



Pan Fried Dumplings with Scallions and Ponzu

Judgment: The dumplings here were pretty good. Granted I think Din Tai Fung's dumplings are way better, but this is pretty good compared to most other dumpling places. The dumpling is rolled rather than wrapped at this place and the filling is pretty meaty. The Ponzu adds a nice touch to the taste and I wished it would stick to the dumpling better, but it is just a liquid. 8 / 10

Sliced Kurobuta Pork Belly



Sliced Pork Belly with Sweet Glaze & Scallions

Judgment: The pork belly was amazing. It reminded me of Animal's Pull Pork Belly Sandwiches. The meat was fatty, soft and extra tender. The glaze I could use less of, but as a whole, the dish was GREAT. 10 / 10

Conclusion: The location of this particular branch was a little hard to find because the building didn't have a sign for it on the directory but we were shown the way by the guys at Shin Sen Gumi. The parking lot is quite steep for lowered cars so definitely have to exercise caution. The roads surrounding it also is not the best so again, use caution. The food looks and tastes top notch and hopefully next time, I'll order a bowl of Ramen.

This restaurant gets an A.

No comments: